“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Where I'm From...











This morning I went for a walk\jog by the beach and stopped to read for awhile. I really enjoy my time by the beach and try to spend as much time there as possible. Walking or running in the sand, people watching, and listening to the smooth sounds of the Mediterranean creates something within my soul that forces me to take a step back and reflect. I can't say that I really mind this, I think that reflection is good for the soul.

Jason Michael Carrol's song "Where I'm From" starting playing on my ipod and I began to think about the states and my family. Country music inevitably makes me think of home. Don't get me wrong, I don't own a pair of cowgirl boots and I'm honestly not the first one to attend a "hoe-down" on a barn, but there is something so special about being from the South. I miss fried chicken, country concerts, biscuits and gravey, sweet accents, southern hospitality, and even the humid summer weather. I think about home and my family a lot, but I'm in no way ready to leave and I'm grateful that I still have several months left in Malaga. I am definitely enjoying my time here, and thankful that being here has also helped me to realize all of the things I love about the states, as well as being reminded of what a wonderful family I have.

I miss them more than ever, and I'm realizing each day how much I have taken them for granted. My wonderful father who has sacrificed so much for us, who is hard working, protective, fun to be around, and who inspires us to be all that we can be. My sweet mother who wants to give us the world, whose laughter is contagious, and who would never judge us for our mistakes. I admire the way they have chosen to raise us, and I wish I could be even a fraction of how magnificent they are. My amazing sister, who has grown into such a strong, beautiful young lady and who I aspire to be like. She will never fully know how proud of her I am. My lovable (sometimes ;)) brother who is talented, who can always make me laugh (even when he's not trying to), and who possesses extreme loyalty and dependence. My grandparents who have been such a huge part of our lives- constantly sacrificing for us and demonstrating all of the kindness and selflessness in the world. My grandmother, who is a walking inspiration, and whose strength I admire deeply. My aunts, uncles, and cousins, who are fun-loving, care-free, and free spirited- I hope to be like them one day.

It's interesting how life takes us places we never thought we would be. I never thought I would live in Spain, period. Now here I am, realizing what a blessed life I live. I am so thankful.

To my family members who may read this. Know that I love you, I'm thinking of you always, and I am thankful beyond words for your love.

Always, Kerianne


No comments:

Post a Comment