“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!
















Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the Selwo Adventura Animal Park with the 5th and 6th graders. Initially I think I was more excited about this field trip than the kids. I kept telling everyone all weekend about it! Opps ;). Selwo is a huge animal reservation in Estepona, about an hour west of Malaga. The park is huge and has a safari feel to it. Throughout the day we saw all kinds of animals; tigers, zebras, crocodiles, anacondas, monkeys, giraffes, etc. We also split up into groups and rode in safari-like jeeps while our guides told us more about the animals we were seeing. Not only did we see animals and ride in jeeps but we did some hiking as well. One of the coolest things was climbing over these long, wobbly bridges. It was pretty windy and we were very high up. Some of my girls were freaking out a little (not me of course ;)) so I encouraged them to keep their eyes on one of the girls pink backpacks ahead. They repeated, in perfect Spanglish, "I follow la mochilla pink, I follow la mochilla pink." I couldn't help chuckling but hey, whatever gets you across your bridge, right? :)



































































There was no schedule for the day and the kids kind of ran off on their own in the park. This stressed me out a little but I realized again that's just the American in me. I have to admit, it was really nice being able to walk around with the kids all day and go wherever they wanted. My favorite thing about this trip was continuing to build relationships with them. We told stories, laughed at jokes, and really enjoyed each others company. I've been pretty strict about only speaking in English in the classroom because I feel like it's a disadvantage for me to be here and them not get all of the English they could get (that, and I'm too intimated to speak in Spanish in front of the whole class :))....this day, however, I decided to only speak in Spanish with them. The students LOVED this. They taught me many new thinks and were very patient with me. It was a really cool thing for them to see me in a student perspective and seeing me make mistakes just like they do. I was also able to communicate with them (and have them understand) that I care about them.







































































The day, although very long, was rewarding beyond measure. I am going to enjoy every second left with these absolutely amazing kids. So thankful for this amazing experience.

1 comment:

  1. so fun! you should probably get me an application so i can work there :)

    ReplyDelete