“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hasta Siempre











Just a heads up, my thoughts are all over the place right now so this blog may be a little spacey. You have been warned.

Today was a painfully sad day as I went to C.E.I.P Isaac Peral for the last day. I said goodbye to the students and teachers that I have grown to love so very much. I honestly cannot believe that my nine months here are nearly over. It feels like just yesterday that I hopped off the bus and followed a little girl with a backpack, hoping that she would lead me to the right school. She did, and that little girl happened to become one of my first grade students :). My experience working in Spain would not have been the same without the people who have touched my life in such a powerful way.

My heart ached as I hugged and kissed each student goodbye. I was flooded with thousands of letters, drawings, and gifts. The day was filled with many laughs and many tears. The teachers threw a goodbye party for Keri and I in the lounge and accompanied us after school for a farewell lunch. I was really touched by all of the love and support that was shown to us today. It makes me believe that I did something right.

My students have given me unimaginable joy. When you have something good it is only natural to want to hold on to it and not let go. My teachers have comforted the students (and myself) by saying that we should be happy because "hemos conocido." It is very true- I am so grateful to have been given this amazing opportunity. If I could go back knowing that I would fall in love with these kids and have to say goodbye, I would still do it again in a heartbeat. People come into our lives unexpectedly and completely turn our worlds upside down. Sometimes people come into our lives and open up a world that we didn't know existed.

I have learned so many things during this year abroad, but one of the most important things my students helped me learn...and that is I deserve love and should strive to always be a person worth loving. To explain how each student and teacher has touched my life would take a lifetime. So instead I will leave you with a few memories of my last days at school, as well as a link to a slide show video that I made for my students.

Until always, or hasta siempre.
Kerianne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4bEutBQrY

No comments:

Post a Comment