“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

At least I got to say hello...




Today was an awfully sad day. My last day at school is on Tuesday, and today I had to begin saying goodbyes. I had to say goodbye to my favorite 2nd grade class. Words cannot explain what an ache I felt in my heart. I have been in many classrooms over the years and have had to say goodbye over and over again. I have never been as sad to leave students as I was today. Not only was I sobbing, but the entire class was crying. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that I touched these kids lives enough to where they were crying that I was leaving. My heart completely broke.

They made me a beautiful book with photos of each student in the class and artwork they had made for me. The notes were heartfelt and sweet. Many of the students drew hearts with F.C Barcelona colors on them (they know me too well).

I came to Spain thinking that I would help children to learn English and with a hope of inspiring them. They have taught me so much and have touched my heart in amazing ways. From 3 years old to 12 years old, each student has impacted my life in a beautiful way. I'm not prepared to close this chapter of my life but I know that it has to be done. I'm going to miss them so much. I'm going to miss their sweet faces lighting up when they see me. I'm going to miss their little voices when they speak in perfect Spanglish ("yo finished!"). I'm going to miss the older kids, who I now view less as students and more as friends.


One thing is certain: I am sad to say goodbye but at least I got to say hello.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, so sweet. The last line gave me chills! xx

    ReplyDelete