“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Monday, March 7, 2011

A Little Taste of America








This past week we had a week off school (thank you, Semana Blanca). Instead of doing any big traveling, Jessica and I decided to spend the first part of the week by the beach in Málaga (tough life, I know) and the second part traveling to a little, beautiful place called Rota. We had no idea of the adventures that were to come!

Rota is located in the province of Cádiz, about four hours west of Málaga. We arrived in Cádiz capital and took the ferry over to Rota. It's a gorgeous little beach town that is settled on the Atlantic Ocean and man was it good to see the Atlantic again! Living on the Mediterranean, Jessica and I had almost forgotten what ACTUAL waves looked like. The town itself is absolutely gorgeous with it's white buildings, narrow streets, and beautiful beaches.Our few days in Rota were spent eating delicious Chinese food and pizza, going to the beach, venturing to some amazing bars\pubs, and meeting lots of really amazing people. We have already decided to return very soon!

Aside from it being such a beautiful place, I have to say the coolest part about Rota is the American Naval Base. We met so many amazing people in the military and it really made me feel like I was back in Virginia Beach, where I am constantly surrounded by the military. I even met a few people who are stationed in VA Beach- what a small world! Rota was unique because it was like a little taste of America in a foreign place. Jessica and I, being extremely supportive of the U.S military, were reminded of how much we truly love and appreciate our country. Although I love being in Spain, my roots are American and I look forward to returning.

Rota was a great reminder of home. My days left in Spain are numbered (literally) but I am going to enjoy my last few months abroad and look forward to watch the United States brings in June.

Since you're already here, check out my favorite website. http://welcomehomeblog.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment