“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Thursday, January 6, 2011

If ever there was a place to start over, it's here.


What a blessing the past three weeks have been! At the beginning of my time in Spain I did not think I was going to go home for the holidays...but I am so unbelievably thankful that I was able to! It was just what I needed. The time with my family was so precious and I miss them so much already. I think I needed to go home, not only to see friends and family, but also for myself and for my experience here.

My first week at home was absolutely amazing and at that time I honestly thought it was going to be difficult for me to return to Spain. After awhile I started to really miss Spain and the life that I have established here. I think that I needed to go home to realize that I still have so much more to see and do here, and I have so much more to learn. I'm thankful that, unlike when I went home after my study abroad trip, I actually have a chance to come back and to do the things that I haven't been able to do yet. I get a chance to really explore Andalucia and other parts of Spain. I get another chance to invest in learning Spanish and to invest in the lives of people here. I get more opportunities to travel and see God's beauty through different countries and different cultures. I get a second chance and nothing is more beautiful than a second chance.

I've been back in Málaga for four days now. As much as I love my students, it was definitely hard to return to work after being on "vacation mode" for the past three weeks. Once I arrived at school I was greeted by sweet hugs and kisses from my students. All of the kids said "feliz 2011" or "feliz año nuevo," followed by stories of what Papa Noel (Santa Clause) and Los Tres Reyes Mágos brought them. The holiday season for Spanairds not only includes Christmas and New years, but also Los Tres Reyes Mágos (The three magic kings). On January 6 the three magic kings bring all of the "good" children gifts, even more gifts than papa noel brings. How lucky that they get presents on TWO holidays within a month! Lucky little things. I enjoyed listening to all their stories and their sweet smiles made me feel right at home. I also brought back candy canes from the U.S to give to the kids...they were extremely pleased with this.

The next few months have some exciting things in store. As cliche as it sounds, I'm choosing to leave 2010 in 2010 and to move forward. I thought that I was really "starting over" when I first arrived in Spain in September but looking back I was really just being prepared for my new beginnings in 2011. I'm leaving the past in the past and believing for BIG things this year. I took a long walk on the beach today and sat at one of my favorite places when the sun was setting. I thought to myself, if there was ever a place to start over, it's here...so it goes.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes. Love always, KA.




"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff KA! I know what you mean, I feel the same after a much needed 3 week break myself.

    ReplyDelete