“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Malagueño Swag




As each day passes I am falling more in love with gorgeous Málaga. The beach, the perfect weather, the style- I love it all. Although I do miss the little things that I took for granted at home, like a dryer and an oven to name a few...all a part of the adventure :). Still, Málaga feels more like home every day. The "no pasa nada" atmosphere sinks in and people loose all sense of time. Most beach towns cause us to forget about all of our worries and to vaca our life so to speak... Málaga is no different, except this "vacation" really is my life.

There is a certain attitude about this place that is unlike anything you will find in the US. I wake up in the morning with the rest of the town, very rarely having to ever use my alarm clock (my neighbors quite enjoy waking me up each morning :)). I leave my apartment and begin my 30 minute hike to the bus station. I pass people young and old in the streets- some just coming in from last nights party, some beginning their shopping at the local markets, and some walking off to work like me. At two o'clock the city begins to shut down, with the exception of a few cafes and las tiendas de los chinos (the Chinese stores- little cheap stores all over the city). Government offices and schools remain closed after two while other stores will open back up after the famous siesta. This period from 2-6pm is a time for families to gather to eat lunch (their biggest meal of the day), to take a nap, and to relax with family and friends (who wouldn't want that after a whopping 4 hour work day?).

Suddenly at 6pm the streets come alive once again, the stores are open, and the night has begun. People hustle and bustle through the streets and it is the most energetic time of the day, which is so different from the good ol' US with our 9-5 work day, dinner with our family, and typically remaining at home for the rest of the evening. Between 8-11 the Malagueños enjoy a very long cena (dinner) with friends and family usually in the form of tapas and drinks. People sit outside for hours simply enjoying each others company. After la cena the night officially begins. Parties begin and people stay out until the early morning hours. At home this means 2 or MAYBE 3am...here that means rolling in at about 6am (no wonder that siesta is needed). Then the day starts over yet again!

So that's what life is like here for the people of gorgeous Málaga. I must admit I am quite enjoying adapting to this new life. I have a lot of "American" in me- like never wanting to be late, always walking extremely fast, and being ready to leave dinner immediately after I've finished eating. It's a process but I'm adjusting :).

Thinking and missing you all. Until next time!

Besos, Kerianne.

No comments:

Post a Comment