“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.”
- Rosalia de Castro

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Day In The Life of C.E.I.P Issac Peral

























I cannot believe it's almost November! Time is really flying! I must admit that the past week I have been a little homesick, but do you know what the cure is for my homesickness? My job. My kids- seeing their faces, teaching them, being in Alhaurín de la Torre, all of those things make it so worth it. I am so very blessed to have this job and to be in this place. I thought it would be appropriate to give you a sneak peak at what I do in my school.

Alhaurín de la Torre is a CUTE little city just 30 minutes outside of Málaga capital. The city has the backdrop of gorgeous mountains. I hop off the bus at the city center, walk down several curvy streets, and sit down at my favorite cafe for desayuno where I eat un pitufo de bacon y queso (it's actually ham and cheese) and drink the famous cafe con leche. I go to this cafe so often that they don't even ask what I want anymore, haha. After desayuno I walk off a whopping five minutes to my school.

My schedule varies from each day. I work Monday-Thursday and work with many different classes. I work with three year olds (yeah...that's interesting), first, second, and sixth grade. The school is relatively new in their bilingual immersion program. There is not much I can do with three year olds since they barely know Spanish. My bilingual coordinator, the other axuliar, and myself sing songs in English and do art projects. I float around with the first and second grade to their content classes such as P.E, art, and science. In these classes I prepare activities and translate content from Spanish to English. My sixth grade classes are primarily English classes, and are my favorite :). As much as I adore the sweet younger kids, I am able to have more of a conversation with the older kids because there English is somewhat more developed. I should also mention that I have strict orders to ONLY speak to the students in English.

I'm not going to lie, it has been somewhat challenging learning to teach these Spanish students. Some classes are harder than others, but it has definitely been an adventure. I have discovered two main challenges in my teaching endeavors: 1) the adjustment from British English to American English 2) cultural differences within the classroom. You wouldn't think that British English would be a problem, but it has been somewhat difficult. First off, they use words that even I do not know. For example, "please stand in the cue" (line) or "pass the rubber" (eraser) or even "put a tic" (put a check mark). It's a learning process for us all! My American accent also poses a problem for these little ones; they cannot understand a word I say. I know that with any language learner you must speak exceptionally slow and give lots of visual cues but this is extra, extra, extra slow since they are fighting to understand my accent. I could say a few words with a slight British accent if I really wanted to, but part of my job is to expose them to North American culture and my accent is part of that. The second challenge is the cultural differences I am faced with in the classroom. In Spain, it's not impolite to talk over people where as in the US we would consider that very rude. In Spain, everyone merely talks and there is no waiting turns. It's not rude, it's just a difference. I think that this has a great affect on the classroom. If the students are Spanish, and the Spanish talk over people in everyday conversations, why would we expect them to not do that in the classroom? My point of this is saying that they are ALWAYS talking. I mean, always. Sometimes it makes it difficult to get words in :).

Despite these challenges, my job is literally the highlight of my week. I look forward to seeing the students and their smiling, curious faces. They are so precious and so affectionate. A good friend told me the other day that I have been given a gift and it's important to appreciate this gift that I have been given. Wise woman, that Brittany Bristol :). I am cherishing every moment spent with these kids.

Here are some pictures of the little ones- I'll try to get some of the older ones soon!

Abrazos, Kerianne

No comments:

Post a Comment